A reduction in carbon footprint is always a better option but HVAC systems are positioned high on the list of environment polluting gadgets. However, with the introduction of green air conditioning, it is possible to enjoy all AC comforts without increasing the carbon footprint.
The world is becoming environmentally aware and coming up with new laws and regulations to reduce pollution consciously. Under these laws, AC manufacturers are also replacing ozone-depleting refrigerants with eco-friendly ones. Certain technical innovations and improvements too have been added to make the AC more eco-friendly.
The initial cost of installing a green AC is relatively high but eventually, it facilitates a 20 to 50% saving in the utility bills. Thus, in the long run, this AC pays for itself and even earns more. However, going green is so much more than just saving money. Eventually, a green AC initiative will result in:
- A healthier home environment,
- Reduction in consumption of fossil fuels and
- Reduced creation of greenhouse gases.
Tips on how best to use a green AC
The efficiency of the green AC depends on the factors enumerated below.
- Increasing attic insulation: This investment will reap rich rewards in the future.
- Installing radiant heat barriers: This thin barrier metal insulation, when installed, will reduced heat transfer by almost 95%.
- Installing ceiling fans: On cooler days switching on ceiling fans can help eliminate the need for air conditioning Sydney. It also helps to distribute the cold air thereby enabling the user to set a higher temperature on the thermostat. During winter, ceiling fans will help distribute the warmth evenly throughout the room.
- Ductwork sealing: This is extremely important as poor ductwork sealing will reduce the efficiency of the AC. The ductwork that runs through non-insulated spaces will also harm the AC efficiency.
- Preferring programmable thermostats: Installing these thermostats will automatically scale up and scale down the temperature based on the prevalent room temperature. Thus, the user will not have to take on the responsibility of manually doing the same.
It is a fact that the higher the AC temperature selected, the more will be the reduction in home cooling costs.
Tips to buy a Green AC
Certain important factors need to be kept in mind when buying a green air conditioning system. They are:
- Purchasing an AC unit with higher efficiency will reduce energy usage by about 20% to 50%,
- Optimum sized AC should be purchased since undersized ACs will increase utility bills without cooling the room and over-utilised ones would result in an increase in utility bills.
- Ductless ACs or Split ACs should always be preferred as they allow individual regulation of room temperature.
- Installing whole-house fans cools the house by throwing out warn room air and drawing in cooler outside air thereby:
- Eliminating the need for using ACs in milder climates and
- Supplementing the AC during hot climates.
Any step taken towards going green is a smart move. It helps to reduce the high utility bills usually associated with normal air conditioning Sydney.